Monday, March 5, 2012

Ethiopia, Part 3

So...what are you doing this summer?

You can probably guess the big item on my summer agenda. Two years ago, I was preparing for my first trip to Africa. I was apprehensive, nervous, and had no idea what it would look like. But hey, Lord, if I've got to do this, let's go ahead and get it done.


The trip came about for one reason: the and inspiration of a 17 year old - my niece Brooke.

Brooke and me in Uganda
Instead of just a vacation, Brooke wanted to do something after her graduation that would make a difference. So we found this trip with Visiting Orphans and went for it. Did she make a difference? Oh yeah.

I could spend pages talking about how she made a difference. But if I do, you'll stop reading before I get to my point. And I do not want that to happen.

So here it is: Yes, she made an immediate difference by loving on kids in Ethiopia and Uganda. But she also changed my life! Because of her, return trips to Ethiopia and the children I met there are something I cannot imagine not doing. So here I go again.

But this time, I am going to be a team leader. I am putting together a team to go back to Addis Ababa and spend time with the children of a community which lives off the city's trash dump. It is a place that God has put on my heart, and I can't wait to return.

So I'm putting it out there. If any of you, my friends, are looking for a chance to be used by God in ways you cannot even imagine, I would love for you to join my team. If you do, you will be changed. For good. And I've got to say, it would be cool for me to work side-by-side with friends.

It is relatively short trip, from June 30-July 8. There's lots of time to plan. Here is a link to the details on signing up:

Visiting Orphans: Ethiopia with Donnie, Summer 2012

If you want to know more about it, email me at donmanis@yahoo.com, and/or read some of the links below to previous blog posts.

Hope some of you will pray about going. Either way, please pray for me and for the children we will be visiting. Thanks!

Helpful links:

A community in East Africa (Facebook note from a friend)

Seeing God working

Why Africa? (Project 61 blog)

Does visiting make a difference? (Includes a must-see video)

No comments:

Post a Comment