Thursday, September 16, 2010

Happy birthday, Mom...2010

September 16.  On this date many years ago, Mary Cheek gave birth to one of the most amazing women who ever lived --  my mother, Margaret Cheek Manis.  So on this date I remember her and give thanks to God for her life and the continuing influence she has had over me, my dad, my sisters, her grandchildren, and so many others.

It's hard to express how much she meant to me over the course of her life, and how the lessons she taught me have molded me.  She ran her tail off when I was growing up to make sure my sisters and I were always where we were supposed to be.  And as I grew into adulthood, she was someone I could always talk to.  The most important lesson she taught me was how to deal with the deepest pain of life, as I saw her faith remain strong after her child went to be with the Lord at the young age of 35.  They are together now, and that makes me glad.

Since it is so hard to express, I want to pay tribute to her by sharing the audio of a magnificent tribute to her from my cousin Chip.  Chip loved his "Aunt Margie" so much and it was fitting for him to describe her life as we celebrated it days after her passing.  He did an amazing job of summing up what her life was about.  If you have 10 minutes, you can listen to it below.  If not, come back later when you do.  If you knew her or know any of us, her family, it'll be worth it.  Here it is...



Happy birthday, Mom!  I miss you but I'll see you soon.

3 comments:

  1. WOW, what a testimony! She was an awesome woman, Mom and friend! Thank you for sharing this. My Mom was a lot like yours; very strong in her faith and would do anything for her family and friends. I can only pray I'll have half the faith as she did and to show love to everyone like she did.
    Blessings!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I shared my brother, Chip's, gift for words so that I could adequately express just how much my Aunt Margie meant to me. She was my " port in a storm" more times than I can count, my confidante, role model, late night phone buddy, and yes, even protector when needed (though probably not deserved). We cried together many times; but, we laughed together so much more.

    Aunt Margie didn't "talk the talk", she "walked the walk". She led by example, and what an example she set. An example of unconditional love and unwavering faith.

    I still think about her so often and miss her very much; but, like my brother, I know I will see her again someday. Happy Birthday, Auntie "M" and ROLL TIDE!

    I Love You,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. She also influenced your friends, both in person over the years, and she continues to do that through you today. Your mom never treated me like a stranger, I always felt like family around her. I'll always have fond memories of the meals at her house and the trips to games. She made me feel at home when my family was several hours away. Looking forward to a family reunion one day. May God grant peace for you today my brother.

    ReplyDelete