Sunday, April 3, 2011

Days like these...

What an awesome day was Saturday. Well, really an awesome weekend but Saturday was so jam-packed it seemed like a whole weekend.

It began with me stepping off the plane in Atlanta Friday night after a business trip to Bermuda. (Yeah, I know what you're thinking...but it really was alot of work, no matter where it was.) It so happened that my good friend Steve was in town with his wife and his daughter Rebecca for the daughter's volleyball tournament. Steve lives in Tallahassee so I thought, what an excellent chance to spend time with them and to see Becca play.

So I grabbed a late dinner Friday and then spent all day Saturday experiencing the life of a volleyball family. It was so much fun I can hardly describe it. Nevertheless, here are some highlights:

  • We got up at six in the morning in order to get to the venue in time for Becca's 8:00 match.
  • Her team played extremely well, winning all three matches of the day.
  • Becca is the setter. I'm told this is like the quarterback of a volleyball team. (I don't know much about the sport's strategy, but I was hanging with alot of people who do.) From what I could tell and was told, she had an excellent day herself.  Which makes sense, because teams play well when the QB does, right?
  • The 5 or so hours we were at the GWCC went by like lightning. I was having so much fun watching the matches that I didn't even realize how fast time was passing.
  • As we left, it was announced that there would be a team dinner at PF Chang's. (Yay, I thought, since I was invited.) It was to be at 6 pm.
  • Even though we were leaving the arena close to 2:00, we still went for lunch at Buckhead Pizza. So I ate way too much lunch, and then went back for dinner a few hours later. But it was PF Chang's and I almost never get to eat there, so I ate anyway. I'm not even going to talk about the dessert I scarfed down in between at Cafe Intermezzo.
As I write this, it seems that I can't express what I'm really trying to. I think it's because I'm trying to show you what a fantastic day it was by writing a narrative. That's impossible. Because was made it so great wasn't the volleyball. Or the food. Or anything else tangible. It was time spent with amazing people: friends that mean the world to me and also folks I had never met before yesterday. A group of girls that I could tell really enjoy playing together and who had a great time hanging out at dinner (the picture above of them all is so cool - the fun oozes from it). And parents that have become almost like a second family for each other because they have something so important in common: children they love that have formed a team.

Days like these are what life is made of; in alot of ways, the reason we were created. For each other. To get a glimpse into what that life is like for my friend's family is something I wouldn't trade for anything.

I'll close this post with a 14-second video I made yesterday - a single point played out of approximately 250. You'll see a group working together to win a point by all being in the right place at the right time doing what they're supposed to:

May I always be found at the right place, doing the right thing - loving God and loving people. And living life to the full. Like yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment