Saturday, February 5, 2011

Decisions, decisions

Ever had trouble making a decision?

Well consider Valentine's Day. 8th grade. The continuing saga of Cyrus Kouandjio. What do they have in common? Read on.

As many of you know, the college football world experienced its own version of Christmas morning this past Wednesday. After much anticipation, football programs would in essence get to "open their presents" as thousands of high school seniors signed binding letters of intent to play football at a university. One such senior was Cyrus Kouandjio from Maryland. Would he follow his older brother, who already plays at the University of Alabama? Or would he end up at Auburn or New Mexico? At about 11 AM CST, he made this announcement:



But, as many of you know, he did not follow up with a signature. And at this writing, he is still trying to decide between the Tide and Auburn. He said that he had made a decision, but he had not. I feel for the young man as he ponders such an important call. But the point remains that he will have to decide; failing to decide would be essentially a decision to miss out on college.

Flashback to my 8th grade year. It was early February and time to start arranging a date for the Valentine's dance. If you were going. Well, I was pretty inexperienced at the whole dating concept, but I had a huge crush on Rachel (not her real name, for reasons that will become obvious). Rachel was a cheerleader at our school, a member of our rather small church youth group, and always pretty nice to me. Heck, she had even danced with me on one occasion.

So on a bright sunny, but chilly, February morning, I got up my courage and approached Rachel between Sunday School and church. I never will forget walking up to her as she stood there holding the hand of her little brother. The next few minutes are burned into my brain, and will always be there.

I wasn't very smooth; I was probably downright clumsy. I made some awkward small talk and then stammered out the words: "Rachel, will you go to the dance with me?"

And she said ......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Yep, that's right...a big fat empty space of nothing. She looked at me for what seemed like for-EV-er. And then she turned, leading her brother by the hand, and headed toward the sanctuary for church. Not yes. Not no. Just silence. Dead silence.

Yeah, that was a little tough to get over. But as I look back, I see basic human nature taking over. The easiest decision is no decision. And yet, it was a decision, wasn't it? Rachel did not go to the dance with me. Her lack of an answer really was an answer - an unmistakeable one.

It's recorded in Matthew 12:30 that Jesus said, "Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does gather with me scatters."


This is the same principle, isn't it? If we put off a decision about following Christ, we are really deciding. Like Rachel, our lack of response speaks volumes.

So as we college football fans await the final decision of Cyrus Kouandjio, I leave you with this thought: A decision to live life the way God intended, in relationship with him, is the most important decision any of us will ever make. So let's learn...

  1. ...from Cyrus. That we need to count the cost and make sure we are really committed when we declare ourselves a follower. More damage is done to the Kingdom by half-hearted followers than by atheists. And...
  2. ...from Rachel. That choosing not to choose is really a choice.
Decisions, decisions....

2 comments:

  1. Donnie,
    Enjoyed reading your blog. You made a great point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donnie! These are the kinds of stories that make me burst into tears and head to Walgreens for psychotropic drugs!!! (I'm not purposely trying to ignore your obvious spiritual point...). All of us have those moments we will never forget... Rachel missed out. Plain and simple. And I would know. :)

    ReplyDelete