Sunday, August 7, 2011

Well, this is different

Ok, well I'm used to going to these things. Actuarial conferences - full of other math geeks like myself who analyze risk. In this case, we all work for Farm Bureau insurance companies, so we can exchange ideas, get continuing education credit, and yes...have some fun. (Yes, actuaries can have fun.)

But the thing is that I'm usually a guest at these things. Today, we arrived a day early so that we could unload and set up all the registration bags. Those things are supposed to just, you know, be here when I arrive. Somebody has to this work?

Yes, they do. At every conference I attend. People make reservations, set up dinners, arrange activities and speakers, line up sponsorships, and yes, arrive early to do work. And they spend the whole conference worrying about whether it's meeting up to everyone's expectations.

But I don't usually think about that. Because until it's my turn, I am a victim of the self-centered thinking that is so common in the human race. If it doesn't affect me, I don't think about it.

From now on I'll know. I'll think about all the work that's done so I can have a successful conference and yes, have a good time. And I will be more thankful.

In the meantime, I wouldn't mind some prayers that it goes smoothly. We're just getting started.

No comments:

Post a Comment