Tuesday, June 7, 2011

X-Men: First Class

Tonight a few of is went to see the new X-Men movie. First, there was some awesome Thai food from Green Papaya, then the movie.  I gotta say that I was really looking forward to it because I love the whole X-Men saga, and the other "origins" movie (Wolverine) was the best one to me. And I got a good review from a guy at work late this afternoon.

For me, it did not disappoint. It was entertaining, funny at times (just the tight amount), and even thought-provoking as it dealt with issues such as prejudice and revenge.

One of my favorite moments was when the villain Sebastian Shaw uttered this line:
"We still possess the greatest weapon in the world...me."
O.....kay.

One of the best things about a movie like this is looking back at a story where you already know the future and seeing a glimpse of how things got to be the way they are. That's part of why I loved the show Smallville so much. This movie was very satisfying from that standpoint, including a wonderful scene where the young characters are teasing each other about potential code names - names we know will actually stick. (There's also a very funny line from Xavier at the end, one I won't spoil.)

Finally, I thought it did a very good job of demonstrating the consequences of hate, revenge, and self-absorbed isolation. I could discuss those in more detail with a spoiler warning, but I'll hold off. Maybe in a later post. For now, let's just say that it's very effective.

It's a fun movie with interesting characters and just the right mix of humor. I enjoyed it. I suspect many of you would as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment