Sunday, December 8, 2013

Christmas music

Like so many of us, I love the Christmas season. I love the lights, the glitter, the food, the parties, the time with friends and family, and the music. All the music, both meaningful and silly. But mostly I love the mystery that we celebrate in this season - the mystery that the God of the universe would wrap himself in flesh and come to be with us. And not just be with us, but through his death and resurrection would bring about a kingdom that would supersede all the kingdoms of men, and that he is working through us to bring about his reign through the whole earth. No wonder so many Christmas songs refer to "the newborn King."

Christmas music has some of the most powerful expressions of this theme that I can imagine - just one of the reasons I love the music of the season. This month, I want to once again highlight songs that have reached deeply into my heart and mind to show me the eternal purposes of God in the incarnation.

Before I begin though, here are links to posts where I highlighted some songs during past Decembers. So, if you have a few minutes, check these out. And then we'll move on to a new song in a couple of days.

Enjoy:

Merry Christmas (Third Day)

Labor of Love

Someday at Christmas

Hark! The Herald Angels Sing  

No comments:

Post a Comment