Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Ethiopia 2011: The future

In the days since I returned from Ethiopia, I've posted a series of pages based on what God was teaching me there. So far, the topics have been:
And so now I close the series with a look toward the future. Because how can you walk so close to the heart of God and not have your future changed?

And indeed it has changed. God continues to draw me to this part of the world and I sam convinced that this phase of my life has a mission related to that. At the the same time, I continue to have a heart for young people - the same part of me that led me to be a YoungLife leader for 30+ years.

This trip cemented my love for the people there, and especially for the children whose homes I visited. Also, God taught me alot about the dynamics of a young team by putting me with this particular team. I don't know the path that God has for me, but there are certain things about it that seem to be clear:
  • I am to continue my sponsorship of Brouk and Hagersaw. I pray that God will life them up and give them a full sense of his presence.
  • I need to be a constant voice for those who can't be heard above the shouting of our busy materialistic world. I want to constantly let everyone I know how important it is to love "the least of these" (Matthew 25:31-46) - the widows, the orphans, and the disenfranchised.
  • I want to stay in touch with my new friends from the team, just as I did with many of my 2010 team. God keeps expanding my circle of friends, and I am grateful.
  • God willing, I will return to Ethiopia. Right now, I believe God wants me to find a way to lead a team of young people, merging my two passions for ministry. I have some ideas how that might work, but I think it would be wise to share the details of that if and when it becomes a reality.
I'm excited about the future. Because I know who hold the future. Can't wait to see what he has in store.


No comments:

Post a Comment