Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Train: Bruises

Last night, for the first time, I saw one of my favorite groups in concert: Train. If you follow this blog, you know how much I like them. I can think of at least two blog posts I've done on their songs: I Got You and Maybe This'll Be My Year. Well, after seeing them last night, here's one more.

It was a wonderful evening, with great music outdoors in the new Tuscaloosa Amphitheater. If you haven't seen a show there, I highly recommend it. And let me tell you, Train puts on a fun show.

They played almost every one of my favorites, including the songs referenced above. It was especially poignant when they played Maybe This'll Be My Year, since the bridge of the song is about 9/11, and the concert was on the anniversary of the tragedy. I loved listening to a large crowd of college students sing along in the part of I Got You where it samples the Doobie Brothers hit Black Water (which was popular in my college days). They played with the crowd masterfully during the title song of the Save Me San Francisco album. They brought a pack of young ladies up to the stage and had them dance and sing during Mermaid. But one of my favorite moments is depicted in the photo above, when lead singer Pat Monahan chose a young lady at random to sing to during what he called his favorite song...Bruises.

Of course, it would have helped if the random gal had known the words (and he had plenty of fun with the fact that she didn't!). But it was still awesome the way that, by singing it to and with a partner, he illustrated what the song was trying to say. Take a listen:

(Warning: There is one instance of mild profanity in the song.)



Like many of their songs, this one touches a chord of real life in a way few lyricists do. These old friends haven't seen each other for about ten years, and in the meantime they both have experienced pain and in particular a broken relationship. The point of the song is that the bruises we collect from the pain in our life are not something to run from. They actually give us something in common - yes, a topic of conversation (the surface meaning of the chorus), but more than that. A reason to be there for each other. It reminds me of Galatians 6:2.
Share each other's burdens, and in this way obey the law of Christ. (NLT)
Yes, we all have bruises. And we can share them with each other. We long to share them with each other. What a great song.

And what a great concert. Great music, but not just that...you get great music from the studio. Fun. Playfulness. A sense of "where did the time go?" Next time they come near, I'll be back. Maybe I'll see you there.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you got to go. I didn't know about a new amphitheatre in T'Town. I'll have to check it out sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your post.

    I'm not english speaking people. I obviously don't understand some phrase of lyrics
    but after reading your post, I felt clearer and know that that I've thaught is correct.

    ReplyDelete