Tuesday, December 17, 2013

A subtle lie

I came across this on Instagram this evening:


Now, first off, please try to ignore the fact that I follow Melissa Joan Hart on Instagram. She's a Bama fan, ok? Ok.

Now, with that over with, take a close look at the expression in the picture:
Whatever makes you feel bad, leave it.
Whatever makes you smile, keep it.
Yes, this is what the world definitely wants us to believe. It's all about our feelings. The greatest good in life is happiness. I should do whatever is best for me.

What a contrast with what Jesus taught. He told us that whoever would lose his life would save it. He said to expect suffering, and to rejoice in it. He called his followers to be willing to give up everything, including their very lives, for the sake of the kingdom of God. More of Jesus, less of me.

So forget my feelings and what makes me feel good. I would restate the meme like this:
Whatever magnifies me and my ego, leave it.
Whatever magnifies the Creator of the universe, keep it.
Sorry, Melissa. Roll Tide anyway.

1 comment: