Thursday, June 27, 2013

Lilies?

Tonight we were rehearsing a song I've sang a jillion times. Of course, The Battle Hymn of the Republic is a staple for the week leading up to the Fourth of July.

So we got to the part with the beautiful four part men's a cappella harmony. The third verse. We began to sing,
In the beauty of the lilies, Christ was born across the sea............
Huh??

After singing this song all my life, I suddenly thought, Lilies? What lilies?

I have no idea whether lilies grow in Bethlehem. If they do, there is no way to know what time of year Jesus was really born, so would they even be in bloom?

Lilies?

I'm not sure I'll ever be able to sing it again without suppressing a grin. Unless you can help me. Anybody have any idea why it refers to lilies?

That's all I got. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment