Thursday, February 28, 2013

Kindle

How much do you read?

I've got to confess that I went through a few years where my reading became relatively sparse. It's not because I didn't enjoy it...I've always loved to read. It is the only source of entertainment (novels), information, and growth that I can take at my own pace and let it sink in.

But it did get neglected for a while. I don't know why. Maybe I got too busy. Maybe when I studied for actuarial exams I got in the habit of mostly reading just what I needed to succeed. Maybe I just was watching too much TV. But for whatever reason I got to where I would read 1) what I needed for work, 2) the Bible, and 3) the occasional novel. Very occasional.

I have blogged before about the fact that I have found technology to be a good thing. I know some people think it's the devil, but I think if used right it's a blessing from God. For example, I have friendships that social media have helped me maintain.

And so, about two years ago, my Kindle entered my life.

There is something about always having my books at my fingertips that has revived my reading life. I now always have at least two books going at once. I'm usually reading something for pleasure and something for growth at the same time. I just finished a marvelous book on Dietrich Bonhoeffer that I would not have found without the Kindle. Right now, I am simultaneously reading the latest Tom Clancy novel, a book on Generation Y, and a commentary on Revelation.

That would never have been the case with traditional books.

I know there's something about having a book in your hand. About turning the pages. I've heard all the arguments and I see their point. But I'm telling you, I have grown more in the last two years than any such period I can remember. There are a lot of reasons - friends, family, my church, seeing God's hand working in Africa - but I think reading more is at or near the top of the list.

And my Kindle is a huge reason.

Thank you, God, for technology. It may be misused, but it is a gift from you. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment