Friday, May 18, 2012

Softball...yes, softball

My name is Donnie, and I am a college softball fan.

I never thought I'd say that. Softball is the "other" game being played across the street from baseball, right? And admitting I'm a fan - well, it feels sort of like coming out of some kind of sports closet.

But I am. It's amazing what winning will do. Alabama has had a championship level softball program for several years now, and it's contagious. I'm not the only one. Reserved season tickets sold out this year, and so the only tickets that can be bought at the gate are general admission - which buys you a seat in the Brickyard. That is, the grassy area beyond the outfield wall. Bama softball averages close to 3.000 fans per game in a stadium with less seats than that.

Packed house for 2012 NCAA Regional game
It's been called the most electric atmosphere in college softball.

And that's why I think I've become a fan. not just because they win. But because it's fun to be at a game. And that, after all, is why we go to sports events - to have fun.

This is no second class sport. The young ladies playing the game are fantastic athletes. And the Tide has some of the best in the country.

So this weekend, as they began their quest for a national championship, I didn't just follow from home. I am in Tuscaloosa as I write this, and I am here for the weekend. Bama won their first round game tonight 5-1. They play again tomorrow and the championship round is Sunday. I am rooting as hard as I do for any Crimson Tide sport.

My name is Donnie, and I am a college softball fan.

And it's fun!

Roll Tide.

No comments:

Post a Comment