Friday, December 31, 2010

2010

2010.

It was a year of change, a year of joy, a year of struggles, a year of memories.  Yes, much like every year.  In short, it was the latest of the small number of years God has granted us to live on this earth.  We need to savor every one of them.  With that in mind, here is a short list of things that stood out to me about the year that just ended.

  1. Africa.  For two weeks this summer I entered a world that my imagination could never have done justice.  I learned so much from the kids and people we met there, and I have been changed forever.  A part of me will always be there, and I know God wants me to permanently be a part of bringing his love to the people there, and also orphans everywhere.  I'm still learning, but that two weeks changed my life.
  2. Pasadena.  I was blessed to begin the year by traveling to Cali with my nieces, dad, and a very good friend.  I love Alabama football and the tradition of excellence it stands for.  To experience a national championship in the place where the Tide's championship tradition began, and to do so with those close to me, was unforgettable.  "Remember the Rose Bowl, we'll win then."
  3. Europe.  Remember that cloud of volcanic ash that shut down airports over there for about a week?  Yeah, I was one of those who got stuck.  (And yes, I know there are worse fates.)  I will tell the whole story on this blog one day, hopefully soon.
  4. Tuscaloosa.  I spent more time than usual there the first half of this year, because of a relationship with an amazing woman there.  I leaned alot of from that time, and wouldn't trade it for anything.  I also spent time there doing some calculus with my niece who, as an environmental engineer,  will one day save the world from unsafe water.
  5. LOST.  The television show I consider to be the greatest in history came to an end, and for me, it did not disappoint.  The thing that caused this to make the list however, was not (as awesome as it was) the show.  It was an amazing evening as friends and family gathered at my house for a big finale party.  That was a night to remember, and I'll always be glad I shared it with y'all.
  6. Facebook and Twitter.  Yeah, I know.  Waste of time.  Scrambles our brains. Scourge of the earth.  All that may be true (and definitely is if we don't keep in moderation), but I have so, so many friends that I would be out of touch with without these tools.  Let's face it - ten years ago, when a friend moved away, most of the time we would drift apart.  Not anymore, at least for me.  So to all my online friends, I am grateful for you and your daily encouragement.
Yes, it was a great year.  And I am not even touching on all the things that make my life great year after year: my awesome family, my church, my career, and of course God's love, mercy, and grace.  Those things are constants, and 2010 was no exception.

So goodbye 2010.  Welcome 2011.  I can't wait to see what you have in store.

1 comment:

  1. can I add one?? Number 7. The Formans came home.... :) Ha ha!! Hope you have a great day in Orlando...and today I will be saying Roll Tide :) Let us know when you get home...we have some football to watch this week! :)

    ReplyDelete