Thursday, July 29, 2010

Inception

Tonight I saw a movie for the second time at the theatre. I only do this in two situations: either I want to go with a friend who has not seen the movie (and it's a good one), or it is so rich and deep that it needs a second viewing to fully absorb it. Inception (the link is to the youtube trailer) qualified on both fronts.

Dreams have always been a fascinating subject to me. They have played a key role over the years in God's revelation (for example, Daniel's interpretation of Nebuchadnezzar's dreams), and they have an awful lot to say about what's really going on in our minds. My favorite horror movie is Nightmare on Elm Street, because it isn't just a slasher movie but is based on the idea of dreams becoming real...and deadly.

In Inception, dreams are the medium for thought theft, manipulation, and, yes, the deep problems of the main character, portrayed by Leonardo DiCaprio. It is another tremendous performance on his part, and he has become one of my favorite actors. In an upcoming blog post I'll discuss his performance in Blood Diamond, and how that movie relates to the lesson God taught me in Africa earlier this month.

Bottom line: Inception is one of my favorite movies ever...it has suspense, action, humor, and thought-provoking ideas. If you like all that, see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment