Sunday, August 21, 2011

Crazy Don

“I the LORD do not change. So you, the descendants of Jacob, are not destroyed." (Malachi 3:6)
Wednesday afternoon about 2:30. Am moment that I'm sure led my staff to think, "What the heck?"

I was in transition from one meeting with some higher management to another. The problem was this: The first meeting had run overtime and (to my dismay) I had decided to print some stuff for the second meeting between meetings. Yep, that was my own fault and yes it was because I am a world-class procrastinator.

So there I was, charging back to my office to print the exhibits. But when I had sent the print job, I realized that in my haste I had printed the whole 10 page document instead of the single page I wanted. 11 copies. So there I was printing 110 pages instead of the eleven I intended.

Wasted paper. And having to wait for that many pages to print. All while the other meeting was starting.

Yeah, I panicked. I stormed around telling everybody what I had done, and how frustrated I was. It must have been quite a sight...especially for our new staff member who had been there less than a week. "What have I gotten myself into??"

Everyone else was calm, a staff member offered to sort the exhibits and bring me the page I needed, and everything was ok. Of course. When I got back from the meeting I informed everyone that "crazy Don" was gone and "normal Don" was back.
___________________

The next morning I was reading a devotional from Max Lucado. The theme was God's unchanging nature and he made this point:
Catch God in a bad mood? Won't happen. Fear exhausting his grace? A sardine will swallow the Atlantic first...He's never sullen or sour, sulking or stressed. His strength, truth, ways, and love never change.
 The more I know about God, the more aware you are of how short I fall. I am so glad that my Creator is not like me. Yes, there is a crazy Don and a normal Don. I like to think people can count on me, but I have moods. Not God. His unchanging character is something we can all count on. For all eternity. And that's something to be excited about.

No comments:

Post a Comment